by Zita Evangeline Campbell
As a top hotel in Rotorua, you cannot go wrong with this choice. A central location means you will never walk far to find a restaurant or cafÃ©; however, for those wanting to cook the odd light meal, you will be pleased with the fully functional kitchens in the two-bedroom apartments. The Quest TV is known for their large selection of movies, but you won’t be starved of activities in Rotorua. Aside from the obvious array of wilderness excursions, make sure to check out the Sunday market. Situated in the town’s main square just a short walk away are portable trucks selling anything from homemade food to flowers and fresh vegetables. One thing to keep in mind — if you have a car, you will need to reserve a spot in the parking lot.
Our Editor Loves
- Close to restaurants
- Large selection of movies
- Free high speed Wi-Fi
- Free Wi-Fi
The welcome we got on arrival and the help we got from the team was nothing short of brilliant - friendly, polite, and nothing was too much trouble. The room was a good size, clean and very comfortable. A little harsh but only not scored 5 out of 5 as the view from the room was not the best - looking at a car park and shop and office roofs.
I stayed in one of the 1 bedroom apartment suites with a jacuzzi for 3 nights. Overall, my stay was relaxing, peaceful, and I would return, although I might go for one of the cheaper rooms.
Where this property excels is in its service (from the personnel who are attentive and helpful, to the amenities like free movies that can be watched in your suite) and in its location (it's right next to eat street and a short walk to places like the Polynesian Spa or the iSite -- I had previously looked at the Arista motel but, after driving by it, I realized how far that would have been from the town center). The rooms are a bit older, basic, and some wear-and-tear is visible, so on that front it's not as comparable to a similarly priced suite at another property.
- Location, short walk to restaurants, lakefront, and top Rotorua central sites
- Great service -- front desk attendant gave me a tour of the room and helping with my bags, and housekeeping came quickly and restocked the things they'd noticed I was using most
- Robes, mix-in juice, and teas included
- Full kitchen, which was super handy
- Free movies included (including new releases)
- A bit pricey
- Parking is available, at a fee, and the garage is super tight. Pull in your mirrors and don't bother using the garage if you have a large car.
- Rooms are a bit older and some parts are worn (e.g. dents in walls)
- Jacuzzi is a great feature but the faucet doesn't fill quickly, after 45 minutes of running it, it was only half full.
- A bit noisy (room was next to elevator and street)
- For two of the three nights, the smell of sulphur was incredibly strong in the building and the room (but didn't smell like that outside). While I understand the area has sulphuric geothermal springs, this super strong smell seemed more like the kind of buildup of sulphur in septic pipes based on where it was coming from (bathrooms, elevator shaft, parking garage, and stairwells).