by Whitney Rife
Waikiki Marina Resort stands at the entryway to Waikiki Beach at the landmark Ilikai Hotel. Overlooking Ala Wai Yacht Harbor, the resort offers more than 120 renovated condominium studios. Units feature fully equipped kitchens, free wireless Internet and private balconies. Units can accommodate up to four people, with kids occupying a sleeper sofa. The resort appeals to families by offering completely separate bedrooms, entertainment centers and space to spread out. Also, families can take part in resort activities, like movie nights, cookie bake offs and bingo. A playground and an outdoor pool are other hotspots for children. Waikiki offers many family-friendly activities. Families can swim with dolphins, learn to hula and helicopter over volcanoes. Sarento’s Restaurant is at the top of Ilikai, serving Italian delicacies for dinner. A variety of restaurants are within walking distance, including, Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. and Islands Fine Burgers & Drinks.
Our Editor Loves
- Pool & playground
- Resort family activities
- Sarento's Restaurant
First day I came to check in at the front desk around 2 pm. They said they didn’t have any rooms available yet till 4. I waited till 4 pm since that’s normal to check in and still no room. They gave me a room an hour after 4. Like come on I had to stand around with my luggage and bags for 3 hours in a hot Illakai lobby. Then they said I would get my room cleaned on Thursday and nobody showed up at all. I have no clean towels or clean sheets after 4 days staying there. Worse customer service ever. I’ve stayed at many different hotels and never had as bad experience as this. Wouldn’t recommend this place and won’t definitely come back to this place again.
This is my 5th or 6th stay at the Ilikai and I am still extremely pleased with this property. I like to visit Hawaii as often as I can, which is usually once or twice a year. Here's why I keep coming back to the Ilikai....
1) Excellent location. Right on Ala Moana Blvd, this is just steps away from the beach, Ala Moana Mall and downtown Waikiki. My last couple of visits, I didn't even bother to rent a car.
2) The rooms are great! Very comfortable beds, fully stocked kitchen with full-size refrigerator/freezer and plush towels in the bathroom.
3) TV with many channels and a guide button. The guide is very helpful when you are not familiar with the channels of an unfamiliar cable service.
4) Easy access to the hotel right off the main street. I have stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village (right next door) several times before. Although the Hilton is a beautiful property, accessing the property is more tedious.
5) ALL staff is extremely courteous and makes every effort to be accommodating.
6) And saving the best for last, I am extremely grateful to Kirston and Hendrick (hope I spelled the names correctly). I called several days prior to my arrival and placed a room request which Kirston fulfilled. I arrived early for check-in and Hendrick got my room ready a couple of hours early.
In summary, I love this property and will keep coming back! See you again around March/April 2020 and I hope Kirston and Hendrick will be there to greet me!