Hotel del Coronado Review
685 family reviews
Families will love:
- Beachfront location
- Outdoor swimming pools
- Programs for kids and families
About Hotel del Coronado
As the resident grand dame of Southern California's Coronado Island, Hotel del Coronado has a "wow" factor even children can't miss. It hits immediately with its tall red-roofed towers, elegant white verandas and a grand lobby that glitters with chandeliers and dark, rich woodwork. There's even a hand-operated birdcage elevator taking guests up and down the four floors.
Don't worry about little ones feeling out of place in a hotel that has hosted aviator Charles Lindbergh, English royalty and Marilyn Monroe (here to film the comedy classic "Some Like it Hot"). Kids get VIP lanyards at check-in that lead to a scavenger hunt. They also get a schedule for day camps, surf lessons and pool hours, plus tips for kid-friendly meals and treats.
The sprawling beach behind "the Del" beckons immediately with kids of all ages running through the water and sculpting the sand. It often tops lists of the country's best beaches. 'Tweens and teens catch the swells on surfboards and boogie boards, while others go shopping, hang in the teen lounge or spook each other with tales of Kate, the Del's resident ghost who has a few tricks up her Victorian sleeves.
Families fascinated by the military can watch helicopters fly overhead several times a day, spot navy ships in the distance and see special forces occasionally training on the beach or off shore. Jets may also zip across the sky.
Even without the beach as a vast playground, Hotel del Coronado is a destination on its own and one of the most popular stops for San Diego's Old Town Trolley tours. At more than 120 years old, its grandeur endures. That makes it a trip-of-a-lifetime for families enchanted by the charm of generations ago.
Hotel del Coronado Reviews
All rights reserved. This file may be downloaded for personal
use only. Other copying or reproduction is expressly prohibited.
FREE Family Travel Newsletter
Family Travel Tips (8 New)
– Family Planning and Tips
- OverviewCabinsDiningActivitiesTravel Tips All About the Extras Sail & Sign Card Carnival ships feature Sail & Sign cards, which make life so much easier. All you do is link a debit card or credit card to your Sail & Sign Card at Guest Relations or a kiosk on the ship. You'll then use your Sai...
- OverviewCabinsDiningActivitiesTravel Tips During the cruise, I quickly learned that cruise food is every bit as big of a deal as the cruise itself. And when it comes to dining, the Carnival Miracle does not disappoint. Bacchus Restaurant Thousands of purple, bubble-like lights embellish Bacc...
- OverviewCabinsDiningActivitiesTravel Tips One of four Spirit class ships, Carnival Miracle made its magical debut in 2004. While it's certainly not Carnival's grandest ship, it's definitely something of a "miracle" for families, who find an ample amount of amenities and activities on board. Amid ...
- So many hotels and resorts to choose from! Which ones really are the best for families in terms of theme-park access, amenities, and accommodations? Here are our favorites in the Orlando area! 1. Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creak Maybe it is the Hilton's water park with two zero-entry pools, a 3-acre ...
- When it comes to Disney, they certainly know how to cater to families, and families who want to visit Disney's Orlando theme parks will find a large selection of resorts and hotels to accommodate families of all sizes. But which ones are the best? Take a look at these 10 favorites of our editors and...
- Deciding where to go for your next family vacation? Often it's the most popular destinations -- from mega theme parks to world-famous beach towns -- that come to mind first. It's tempting to pick a familiar place and just go with what you know, but do this and you could be missing out on some fantas...
- Join us onboard Disney Wonder's first exploration into Alaskan waters and ports as Family Vacation Critic Editor Lissa Poirot and her two tots take you on a tour. Be the first to see a sample of Disney's Alaskan Port Adventures, as well as glimpse the Disney Wonder's onboard fun, in our first-ever d...
- Away from the hectic pace of our everyday lives, any vacation is a chance for families to reconnect. There's no soccer game, no piano recital, no working late, so finally you have that precious day together. Yet, if you really want a meaningful break from your usual schedule, one that might change t...