Hotel El Convento Review
235 family reviews
Families will love:
- Historic ambience of a former convent
- Location in the center of Old San Juan
- Complimentary access to beaches and pools at two sister resorts
About Hotel El Convento
El Convento is, hands down, the most beautiful and luxurious hotel in San Juan. Located inside a building that was built as a convent in the mid-1600s (hence the name), it overflows with old-world charm and elegance, from the antique tapestries and black-and-white tile floor in its lobby, to the wrought iron balconies overlooking the central courtyard, to the individually designed rooms with heavy dark wood furniture and views of a Colonial square and cathedral outside.
El Convento is located in the heart of Old San Juan, and the historical ambience that makes the city such a pleasure to visit drips from every direction. The hotel is only a short walk from the old city walls, and not far from El Morro, San Juan's major historic fort. Just because El Convento is so incredible for guests in general, however, doesn't mean that it is necessarily ideal for families. The same romantic ambience that makes it so unique can be a source of anxiety for parents with small children who might be too tempted to climb railings and break the lobby's hushed quiet by talking in an "outside voice." The open interior of the hotel is also unlighted at night, which can make it somewhat dangerous for families with children inclined to roam. For that reason, the hotel is probably best for parents of infants or teenagers, though well-behaved children of any age will most likely be fine.
The location in the heart of the old city is definitely a plus for travelers, since there are few high-quality lodgings to choose from that are so centrally located. On the other hand, there are certain sacrifices that must be made, the biggest one being lack of a pool or access to the beach. The hotel partially makes up for that with complimentary shuttles to the chic La Concha resort, 15 minutes away, which has two pools, including one with two levels and a waterfall, and a beautiful private beach area.
Hotel El Convento Reviews
All rights reserved. This file may be downloaded for personal
use only. Other copying or reproduction is expressly prohibited.
FREE Family Travel Newsletter
Family Travel Tips (4 New)
– Family Planning and Tips
- So many hotels and resorts to choose from! Which ones really are the best for families in terms of theme-park access, amenities, and accommodations? Here are our favorites in the Orlando area! 1. Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creak Maybe it is the Hilton's water park with two zero-entry pools, a 3-acre ...
- Deciding where to go for your next family vacation? Often it's the most popular destinations -- from mega theme parks to world-famous beach towns -- that come to mind first. It's tempting to pick a familiar place and just go with what you know, but do this and you could be missing out on some fantas...
- Join us onboard Disney Wonder's first exploration into Alaskan waters and ports as Family Vacation Critic Editor Lissa Poirot and her two tots take you on a tour. Be the first to see a sample of Disney's Alaskan Port Adventures, as well as glimpse the Disney Wonder's onboard fun, in our first-ever d...
- Away from the hectic pace of our everyday lives, any vacation is a chance for families to reconnect. There's no soccer game, no piano recital, no working late, so finally you have that precious day together. Yet, if you really want a meaningful break from your usual schedule, one that might change t...