by Lissa Poirot
Located on Pacific Beach’s oceanfront boardwalk, just steps from the sand, is the Pacific Terrace hotel. Seventy-three rooms and suites feature a Tommy Bahama island dÃ©cor with private patios and balconies, flat-screen TVs and refrigerators. Standard rooms feature a king or two queen beds. Junior Suites provide a king bed and a queen sofa bed or two queen beds, while Coastal Living suites can accommodate up to six people with two queen beds and a sofa bed. A small pool overlooks the boardwalk, and guests can rental beach chairs and umbrellas. Sand toys, bicycles and Boogie Boards are available, as well as kids DVDs. Onsite dining is not available, but an American breakfast is offered at a fee. Guest laundry services are on property. Underground garage parking is at a daily fee.
Our Editor Loves
- Accommodations for six
- Beach amenity rentals
- Steps from beach
- Family Room 5+
by Ann O
1. Great location: Right on beach and within walking distance to restaurants and shops.
2. Staff were friendly and helpful: People at front desk were very nice.
3. Nice heated pool and hot tub on premises: Great place for families.
1. Our Room:
a) Location--we reserved a "non-view" room that meant no view of the ocean. That is what we chose so fine, but the patio overlooked the garage entrance and a public restroom that was frequented by homeless people. Also directly in front of the hotel on the other side of the public restroom there were people smoking joints (on more than one occasion) that we passed on our way to a restaurant. Not really the view I envisioned for my room and my family.
b) There was shoddy workmanship--tiles in ceiling didn't fit and it looked cheap.
c) there was not enough space for a family to unpack; no dresser and just 3 slim drawers for storing your clothes (our kids got the drawers and our clothes stayed in our suitcases
d) TV did not work properly...several channels did not come in/were frozen and some had a permanent pink tint to them that couldn't be changed
2. Maid service: The rooms were never thoroughly cleaned--the beds were made and towels/soap were replaced but the rooms were not vacuumed and we so areas in the room that were missed (e.g., seeing food wrappers on the floor and dirty dishes on the microwave from the night before). Also, on the first day we came back to our room in the late afternoon having been gone all day to find the maid service had never come to our room. When I called the front desk about it, they sounded surprised that I actually wanted maid service (I don't think they ever intended to clean the room) and said they would send someone "right away". Forty minutes later someone arrived and "cleaned" the room in 10 minutes...
3. Valet service: Since there was no difference in cost between self and valet parking ($26/night), we went with the valet parking. Every time we got in our car, the radio stations were changed. This was annoying and weird why the valet would do this every time since he was only in the car for 1-2 minutes to park it.
Had a great time with my 3 grown children. My 35 year old son flew to Tampa, Florida to meet up with my 31 year old daughter and I. We then flew from Tampa to Las Vegas to meet up with my 38 year old son. We then rented a car in Las Vegas and did a road trip from Las Vegas to San Diego where we totally enjoyed our stay at the Pacific Terrace Hotel. There were amazing scenic views the entire trip, all the way to the hotel. View is amazing from the balcony and from the pier that is right next to the hotel. Staff was very accomodating. Beds were comfortable. We enjoyed the pool area with a great view of the Pacific Ocean. Food was great! Breakfast was amazing, full course buffet. Recommend locking up hotel bicycles while visiting local restaurants and businesses. Don't forget to check out near by restaurants and shops. San Diego is amazing. Take the ferry over to Coronado Island, amazing. We will definitely make a return trip.