Franklyn D. Resort & Spa Review
Families will love:
- Kids' club with craft center, computer games, toddlers' play room, kiddies disco and more
- Personal vacation nanny for your family, included in room rate
- All-suite accommodations with kitchenettes
About Franklyn D. Resort & Spa
Situated on three acres fronting a small private beach on Runaway Bay in Jamaica's north coast -- about 20 minutes west of Ocho Rios and an hour east of Montego Bay -- Franklyn D. Resort (or FDR, as it's called) pretty much epitomizes family-friendly, no-fuss vacationing.
The property originally belonged to an architect, who designed the buildings and grounds with a Mediterranean and Tuscan feel. In 1990, Jamaican hotelier Frank Rance took over and turned the property into Jamaica's first all-suite, all-inclusive resort targeted specifically at families. The owner implemented the concept of personal vacation nannies into the hotel's offerings as a way to set FDR apart.
During your stay, all of your activities (excluding the spa and scuba diving), meals, drinks, water sports, Kid's Camp and daytime nanny hours are included. However, the first thing to know is that this is not a grand, ritzy chain resort kind of place.
Compared to other all-inclusive resorts up and down the coast, FDR has an intimate (they say 'boutique,' we say more like vintage-charm) feel. You're not going to find the huge poured concrete spaces and vast grassy lawns of a Beaches resort here. Protected by jetties and roped off for safety, FDR's beach (really two small coves) is a small but suitable place for families to swim in safe, sheltered surrounds. Despite its size, most things you find at larger properties -- from a comprehensive kids camp, good water sports and multi-cuisine dining options -- are available here.
The lush property is thick with pretty flora -- banana trees, almond trees, bougainvillea and palms -- with paths winding from building to building and past the pool area to the beach. The pink buildings where suites are located -- with their ample patios, balconies and arched openings -- conjure a Jamaican plantation house. The 78 suites all have an airiness about them that's typical of the tropics. All rooms have full or partial ocean views and separate living areas, kitchenettes with stoves, ovens, microwaves and a refrigerator and a table for in-room meals or snacks. Renovations take place on an ongoing basis. And while the resort does not feel very contemporary with its dark wood furniture and slightly outdated kitchenettes appliances, the style is comfortable and warm, with nice accents like brightly colored paintings by Jamaican artists decorating the walls. All of the wood furnishings in the rooms were refinished in 2010, the pool was re-tiled in 2010 and televisions in all suites were upgraded to flat-screens, too. All in the all, the resort is in quite good shape for the years under its belt.
There's not a whole lot to do in FDR's immediate surrounds, other than hop on a bicycle for one of the guided tours offered every morning. Ocho Rios -- with attractions like Dunn's River Falls, Mystic Mountains and shopping -- is only 20 minutes away by taxi.
All-inclusive rates include three meals daily and all snacks, your vacation nanny between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4:40 p.m., kids camp, shopping tours to Ocho Rios, use of land and water sports (including bikes and tennis and kayaking instruction). Special tours such as glass bottom boat outings, snorkeling and booze cruises are also provided free of charge.
Off Family Hotels! Read more
Hotel Deals: Save as Much as 60% Off Family Hotels!
Search our partners for great deals and savings up to 60% off. Searching FamilyVacationCritic.com, we found the following deals as advertised by our partners:
- Priceline.com offers savings of up to 60% through their "Name Your Own Price" program. Priceline's "Name Your Own Price" reservation system is different from most other online travel sites. With Priceline's "Name Your Own Price" reservation system, the exact hotel booked is shown only after purchase. Over the last year, a substantial percentage of accepted offers have yielded savings of up to 60% in comparison to the lowest published rates for the same itinerary on other leading online travel sites. There is no guarantee that hotels, dates, or prices will be available, and savings are not guaranteed. Actual prices and availability are subject to change.
- Our partner, Hotwire offers rates of up to 60% off based on actual Hotwire Hot Rate® Hotel bookings made in the previous 12 months as compared with the lowest published rates found on leading retail travel sites. Prices are dynamic and vary based on booking date and length of stay. There is no guarantee these savings or rates will be in effect at the time of your search. Availability is limited. Hot Rate® Hotel are different from retail rates. With Hot Rate® Hotel you enter the date, location and star rating. Hotel revealed only after booking.
Those are just two examples of amazing offers from our partners. For more, visit FamilyVacationCritic.com and check out Expedia, Hotels.com, and our other partners.
Family Vacation Critic allows you to search various sites at once so you can compare the prices and options offered. Prices or promotions on Family Vacation Critic are reflective of what's offered on those sites. When you book tickets, your booking is handled by one of those sites directly, not by Family Vacation Critic. Transactions, and all subsequent customer care, are directly handled by the site where you booked your travels. Family Vacation Critic does not control the price, rules, regulations, or restrictions surrounding the price. Please read all rules and regulations before booking.
Franklyn D. Resort & Spa Reviews
All rights reserved. This file may be downloaded for personal
use only. Other copying or reproduction is expressly prohibited.