Courtyard Houston-West University is a wonderful property for families with kids to go. The hotel is just around the corner from the Byzantine Chapel Fresco Museum, Beer Can House and Museum of Fine Arts. Some other nearby attractions include the Memorial Park and Water Wall. This 3-star hotel has 98 rooms; it also has a fitness center and swimming pool. Pappas Bros. Steakhouse, The Breakfast Klub and The Chocolate Bar are all kid-friendly eateries that are good and are near the hotel.
Courtyard by Marriott hotels are located in more than 35 countries and provide all the comfort of a Marriott brand. Rooms are spacious and some hotels provide kitchens or kitchenettes, and most locations feature one on-site restaurant, swimming pools and Wi-Fi. Learn more about Courtyard by Marriott hotels.
Our Editor Loves
- Great Hotel in a Convenient Location
- Good rooms, but security concerns
- Above Average
- Free Wi-Fi
This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in the last 25 years supporting Marriot Brand.
My Titanium Elite Status was not recognized at all. Regrettably I have stayed in this staggering place for two weeks but never again.
- Room was not regularly cleaned
- One could not communicate in English with hard working room cleaning ladies
- Toilet was either blocked, not flushing or had a wobbly seat
- Aircon unit in the room worked like a combine preventing sleep and any rest, so I had to keep it switched off
- Very low water pressure
- Slow Wi-Fi
- Small yellow ants in the room
- Lift/elevator kept breaking down
- GYM was filthy and is located in a tiny room. Could not really have more than 2 people in it. . Otherwise it was hugely overcrowded. In addition exposed live electric wires. Equipment dripping with peoples sweat.
- Two ancient computer work station in the lobby, still with Windows 7. If more than one browser open the whole system hung up
- Access to the pool restricted by elaborate system of locks and metal fence
- Whirlpool water dirty and smelly of chemicals. After initial use I had nasty smell on my body for several days
- Shuttle service inconsistent. Several times I had to wait for over an hour for an afternoon/evening pick up from nearby Greenway Plaza
- At check-out they have tried to overcharge me by several hundred dollars and could not provide standard invoice. This was really upsetting
- Meals served in the coffee shop were tasteless ( I have overheard guests comments)
- Price of wine from the bar in line with 5* restaurant prices!!!!
I did not expect much as I was out working for two weeks and hoped the place would my home for duration of my stay. I was wrong. The only two people in my humble view showing enthusiasms and friendliness were the lady driving shuttle bus in the mornings and Desmond ( gentleman serving behind the bar)
Have been staying at this Courtyard several times per year, over the past few years. Last time I was here in July, they were in the middle of renovations, so I was curious to see how things would look after these were completed.
The lobby area is looking nicer with new furniture and the hallways have new carpets. The rooms are definitely fresher and more modern. Gone is the garish red and yellow color scheme. Walls, carpets, and curtains have been updated with a more contemporary mix of whites and grays. The dated red sofa bed, cushions, and coffee table are all gone and replaced with more neutral, modern furniture. The mirrored sliding closet doors have been replaced, as has the sink area of the bathroom. I like the new tea tree shower gel, shampoo, and conditioner dispensers - more responsible than the small plastic bottles.
I can't help but feel it's been half a job though... the bath, shower, shower surround, tiles, and toilet are still the same as before, and looking a bit past their best. The dark wooden headboard, chest of drawers, and desk area are also leftover from before, and don't really go well with the rest of the room. Faded yellow light switches and plug sockets also look poor against the improvements. The chrome fittings in the bathroom could do with being replaced.
The $6 daily parking charge is now being strictly enforced.
All things said, this is still my first choice for trips to this part of town. The staff continue to be some of the friendliest around with a genuine, personal touch, and the location is very convenient for me.