by Lissa Poirot
While the Somerset may seem a small resort on Grace Bay, compared to the sprawling properties nearby, luxury is in abundance. Fifty-three suites ranging from 1,400 to 5,300 square feet are set in three estate, villa and main house building configurations in the resort bordering 300 feet of Grace Bay’s white-sand beach. Families can relax on the beach or in the resort’s freshwater pools, or play beach games, croquet, board games or volleyball. Kids will love the Caicos Kids Club’s free activities and fun, including special teen programs. (Two children 12 and under are free in all suites with parents, as well.) Adults can also enjoy some quality time together at the resort’s upscale restaurant, private dinners, or oceanfront spa treatments.
Suites are unique in decor, artwork and furnishings, feeling more like homes than a hotel. Oversized closets, marble flooring, separate showers and baths in most rooms, flat-screen TVs, surround sound systems, French doors, and modern kitchens outfitted in SubZero appliances are matched with one- to five-bedroom suites with oceanfront, ocean or garden views. Onsite dining includes casual, open-air dining and fine dining, as well as private chefs for dinners in-suite or on the beach. The resort can also order groceries to stock the kitchen before arrival, for families wanting to utilize their kitchens and wine cases, which can also be stocked prior to arrival.
Our Editor Loves
- Kids dinner on select nights
- Condo-style accommodations
- Ability to accommodate large families
- Water Sports
- Children Programs
- Connecting Rooms
- Family Room 5+
- Free Wi-Fi
- Game Room
- Kids' Theme Meals
- Onsite Dining
Find the Best Price for Your Stay
The Somerset condo-style accommodations are nothing but modern and luxurious, with no two rooms and suites decorated the same, but yet all fully embodying the feel and decor of the Somerset. Flat-screen TVS, DVD/CD surround sound system, and iPod docking stations are found in all room types, as well as free Wi-Fi. Villas and suites also feature oversized closets, terraces or balconies, marble floors, full marble baths, and gourmet kitchens with Viking appliances. The resort is broken into three different suite configuration types, with garden and villa suites.
Garden Villas are two-level accommodations with one- to three-bedroom suites ranging from 1,400 to 2,950 square feet. One-bedroom suites typically house three comfortably, although some can accommodate a second child. Two-bedrooms feature a king master and queen or doubles in the second bedroom with two full baths, while the three-bedroom features a third bathroom and a loft with sofa or trundle bed for a third sleeping room.
Villa Suites are the most sought after, with views of the infinity pool and the ocean in configurations similar to Garden Villas. Suites range from 1,500 to 2,500 square feet, with three-bedroom villas featuring a queen third bedroom instead of a loft.
The Estate Building, which is five stories, features one- to five-bedroom villa configurations with oceanfront or ocean views. Suites range from 2,500 to 5,300 square feet. One-bedroom villas offer ocean views with a king bedroom, living room with queen sleeper sofa, state-of-art full kitchen and dining room, and private balcony or terrace. Two-bedrooms have a queen or two doubles bed in the second bedroom, while three bedrooms have queen, doubles or twins in the second bedroom and a queen in the third. The five-bedroom penthouse is spread out between two floors with a king master, king or queen or full/twins in the other bedrooms.
My husband and I planned our dream wedding at the Somerset with the help of their extremely attentive resort staff we have ever encountered on a vacation or at a wedding venue! The staff made us feel welcome from the first visit over Labor Day in 2018, when we were scouting and planning our venue layout, until our wedding at the resort Saturday, June 1, 2019. The staff was extremely courteous to our needs and even the needs of our wedding guests. Everything was beautifully decorated and the accommodations were perfect for our guests to share condominiums during our wedding weekend. The Somerset provides maid service every day and turn down service every night. The beach was beautiful, clean and the water is truly crystal clear turquoise, no filter necessary! All of our guests stayed in shareable multi-bedroom villas that overlook the ocean and pool. The villas are beautiful and when traveling with 40 plus guests with a full itinerary, coming back to neatly cleaned and presentable condominium was a special treat. The staff at the Somerset truly go above and beyond! See below for more detailed and bulleted details.
• Tanya Williams - Somerset Resort wedding coordinator *HIGHLY RECOMMEND* We remain close friends with Tanya to this day and she made my husband and I feel like family during the planning process and entire wedding weekend! The guests loved her, as we knew they would, and she was always available for anything I needed, including superglue for a random acrylic nail that continued to pop off. We cannot express how much her attentiveness to detail and what her friendship means to us. We are forever grateful to her and her staff for our fairy tale wedding!
• Somerset - residence, estate lawn ceremony, croquet lawn reception *HIGHLY RECOMMEND* One of the most beautiful properties we toured one year prior to our wedding. I knew the romantic arches, walkways and stunning flowers throughout the property would be the perfect place for a wedding. The manager Kevin Reeder and his wife were extremely attentive throughout the entire planning process as well! They made us feel like family and personally congratulated us at the reception.
• Nails Mani/pedi day of “Spa at the Somerset” Coralie *HIGHLY RECOMMEND* Coralie provided a few nails technicians and massage therapists for the bridal party to have mini massages and mani/pedi touch ups the day of the wedding. Bridal party mini massages the day of the wedding while getting ready, 15 minute massages for bridesmaids and mothers.
• Surf n Turf Buffet each night - Chef Brad at the Somerset knows how to prepare dishes for large groups and exceed everyone’s expectations for food service. *HIGHLY RECOMMEND* Everyone is still talking about the food preparations and the exceptional pairings that Chef Brad and his staff created.
• Ms Stubbs - Assisting with housekeeping, stocking of alcohol in rooms for guest welcome bags and events, and she is also a wonderful seamstress and aborted a veil crisis the day of the wedding!
• Ornandi - Assisted with the stocking of all the alcohol in rooms for all of the events and taking care of any needs that arised during the week for the guests! He also assisted in setting up our rooftop after party following the receptions with food and drink!
• Gilbert – Somerset has the best Front Desk staff and Gilbert is still one of our favorite employees at the Somerset. He also inflated our extra-large pool floats that the guests used for the pool-side party daily.
• Alecia – Somerset has the best concierge staff as well! Alecia helped Tanya with the preparation of the welcome bags that included inflating drink floats, hangover kit (ibuprofen, nuun electrolytes, and waters), an itinerary, sunglasses, and a Somerset beach bag for the guests to keep. She also assisted in guests arrivals with warm hand towels and refreshing champagne and rum punch upon guest arrival to the Somerset!
• Marlenys- She is one of the best housekeepers we engaged with on the property! She prepared every event on the estate with expert quality that we used for the wedding.
• NILA Destinations – Lynne Watts wedding planner *HIGHLY RECOMMEND* Of note, I highly recommend NILA Destinations but I would inquire about your wedding planner and be sure they are just as attentive to detail as you are. I struggled with my planner due to my extremely detailed personality, however she did make it all happen with a few judgmental remarks throughout the planning process.
• EA flowers - floral arrangements, aisle decor & Arch *HIGHLY RECOMMEND* I have never seen flower arrangements and archways like this at a wedding prior to my own, I may be biased, however this is the floral company you absolutely must choose for your dream wedding! It was like being in a fairytale! I wanted large, extravagant arrangements and they provided more than I could have ever dreamed with my vision.
• Got U Covered – Rehearsal dinner White party Beach bbq bonfire, white sofas and ottomans, Ceremony aisle drapery and aisle tropical plants *HIGHLY RECOMMEND* Got U Covered provides beautiful wedding furniture and drapery to help you successfully accomplish your dream wedding.
• DJ Dayoh - beach bbq DJ *FANTASTIC DJ AND WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND* I was fearful to choose DJ Dayoh for my ceremony and reception due to some bad reviews. However, I would highly recommend that you choose him for all of your wedding events. He is attentive to the guests, he knew how to pronounce our name as husband and wife, and was able to feel the wedding guests vibes and pick music appropriately!
• DJ William John - wedding ceremony, cocktail hour and reception DJ, lighting and globe lanterns. He provides everything in one package but again, refer to the review above for a DJ. Our names were not pronounced correctly and he did not wrap up the ceremony with a final dance or exit for the bride and groom.
• Thea - Makeup Artist *HIGHLY RECOMMEND* Thea focuses on the natural beauty of the bride and bridal party. Her makeup artistry is one of the best on the island and I still reminisce on how beautifully she enhanced my beautiful wedding party’s features! She also provided a makeup trial, which I highly recommend.
• Brigette - Tangled Salon *HIGHLY RECOMMEND* Brigette has an wonderful eye for updos and what fits with the bride and bridal party style. She is one of the best stylists on the island and I still reminisce on how beautifully she designed my beautiful wedding party’s updos! She also provided a hair trial, which I highly recommend.
• Brilliant photography - Anita; David for Trash the Dress There is no one else I would have preferred to shoot our wedding. They became close friends over the course of a weekend! *HIGHLY RECOMMEND*
• Spotlight Videography – André Without Andre, we would not have the most beautiful wedding videos to remember our big day! There is no one else on the island with videography talent like Ander and his talented team. *HIGHLY RECOMMEND*
• Coffee bags for welcome bag - TCI Coffee Roasters with Victoria and Katie *HIGHLY RECOMMEND* They made special labels for our wedding welcome bags and delivered freshly roasted coffee to the resort the same day as our arrival.
• The Wine Cellar – Champagne and Bambarra coconut rum for welcome bag
• Scratch TCI - Annie lemon raspberry wedding cake and chocolate grooms cake with black and white cookies. She also printed the receipt on the groom’s cake, which is how we met! *HIGHLY RECOMMEND*
• Palms - donuts wedding reception. Unfortunately we did not get the eat the beautifully designed donuts for the reception as our wedding planner did not tie the donut board to the tree it was leaning on. A gust of wind blew the table over before the guests could even try the donuts. Luckily Chef Brad at the Somerset made a quick replacement cake for us to “cut the cake.”
• Island vibes - day trip to Iguana Island, Rum Punch and lunch was served with conch ceviche after a day of snorkeling with the wedding guests. *HIGHLY RECOMMEND* The staff is so energetic and provides the best day trip for any guests looking for adventure.
• Beaches – Rehearsal sunset catamaran with a DJ and open bar! The best way to have a rehearsal dinner in my opinion. *HIGHLY RECOMMEND*
• Taxi service - best personality and attentiveness w Cameron Taxi service *HIGHLY RECOMMEND* Cameron and his staffed individually picked up the bride and groom to and from the airport in his BMW! He also provided us with champagne! He also had a wonderful taxi service shuttle for the guests upon arrival and departure. My husband and I also utilized him for every event and dinner we attended on the island all week!
• Wedding signs - 24x36 welcome sign and 8x10 PVC prints Ava at Island Printing *HIGHLY RECOMMEND* Ava can provide any wedding decorations or signage that you make from Etsy or on Adobe Photoshop and have them delivered to your venue for display! Very easy to communicate with over email during the planning process.
• Provo Golf Club - *HIGHLY RECOMMEND* Groom and groomsmen 18 hole round of golf morning of wedding. There ceremony was at 6 pm due the extended daylight in the summer and it allowed for a round of golf for the groom, groomsmen and the fathers prior to the ceremony.
by Sean S
My wife and I, 16yo daughter and her friend stayed in a 2-bedroom villa, 3rd floor, in The Stirling House for 8 nights and had a great time. Concierge Berry was stellar in every sense of the word. Berry hooked up our villa with groceries prior to arriving, set-up SUV transportation to and from the airport and planned numerous activities in additon to many restaurant reservations. Thanks Berry!!! Beach crew of Chippy, Loxley and Quensley were superb - very helpful and sociable. Colin at the pool was super friendly and very knowledgable about TCI. Winston the Bellman provides superior service and has a very positive attitude. He's also DJ Snoopi at the Tuesday Night Beach Barbecue which should not be missed - go Snoop! Brenda our Housekepper for the week was great. Manager's cocktail reception with the GM Kevin Reeder is a nice touch every Monday night from 6-7pm with open bar, live music and tapas. The buffet breakfast in the Pavillion was just OK with a very limited variety. This is however changing as management has brought on two food and beverage consultants to make improvmements and I'm confident the Somerset will benefit from their expertise. I've been to the TCI's four times now and I have to say The Somerset exceeded my expectations in every way. I've stayed at The Palms next door and The Somerset definitely brings it in terms of their service offering. With some slight tweaks to the breakfast menu and improving the chef at the LunaSea Bar & Grill things will only get better. All around a great experience at The Somerset and we look forward to returning soon! Message to GM Reeder and The Somerset Board - you have a phenomenal staff!
Pools and Beach
The resort features two swimming pools, one an infinity pool and the other a zero-entry pool closest to the resort's 300-foot, white-sand beach. Steps away from the resort is Grace Bay Beach, where families can find plentiful chairs and umbrellas, beach games and beach volleyball.
Caicos Kids Club
Kids 5 to 12 can enjoy the resort's free children's program with supervised activities like arts and crafts, games and sports, beach fun, scavenger hunts, movie nights and more. Teen programs are offered in a daily activity list, and children under 5 can join the club programs, if accompanied by an adult. A kids' dinner is offered on select nights during the week to give parents a chance to have couple time.
The front lawn of the resort serves as an authentic, regulation-size croquet field, so bring your croquet whites and join in the fun.
LunaSea Pool Bar & Grill
The casual, open-air grill overlooking the infinity pool provides lunch daily from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., with some dinners on, on occasion. A kids' menu is paired with the regular menu of local and international dishes with a Caribbean flair. Private breakfasts can be pre-arranged.
The resort's upscale restaurant serves breakfast, dinner and brunch on Sunday. Breakfast is served from 7 to 10:30 a.m. and includes things like eggs, fruit and pancakes on the kids' menu. Dinner reservations are suggested and dress is elegant casual. Guests can find flank steak, seafood and a raw bar on the dinner menu and the kids' menu offers chicken fingers, pasta and burgers.
Families can enjoy the popular weekly beach BBQ on Tuesday evenings when Pavilion is closed. Enjoy the party and live music while feasting on delicious BBQ.
Provided daily for breakfast, 7 to 10:30 a.m., lunch, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., and dinner, 6 to 11 p.m. Private in-room dining can also be arranged with a personal chef and wait staff.
Planning & Tips
All About the Extras
Babysitting services can be arranged for in-room and evening services outside of the kids' programs.
A small fitness center is open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. with Cybex training equipment and free weights. Yoga and Pilates is offered for a fee, and personal trainers can also be arranged, for a fee.
The Art of Smart Timing
The resort is busiest during the holiday season, when a seven-night minimum stay is required. Spring break is also high season for the resort, and the resort is most available during the summer and fall months. Turks & Caicos average year-round temperatures remain in the 70s and 80s, with summer providing afternoon rain showers.
The resort is serviced by Providenciales airport, located less than 15 minutes away.
Walking around the resort is convenient but if you have small children, a stroller may be a smart thing to pack.
For Mom and Dad
Schedule a treatment and a professional technician through SpaTropique a spa service that sends treatment professionals to multiple resorts to provide service in the dedicated treatment rooms, on the beach or in your suite. Services include massages, facials, body treatments, and nail treatments. Services are available 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., seven days a week, but must be booked in advance, as walk-ins are not available.