Bar Harbor Inn Review
217 family reviews
Families will love:
- Great view of Maine's rugged shoreline
- Fresh baked cookies and hot chocolate/coffee in the main lobby
- Walking to the pick of restaurants surrounding the hotel in Bar Harbor
About Bar Harbor Inn
All you have to do is stand on the short summit of Acadia Mountain and peer down at the lobster boats anchored in Southwest Harbor to understand why so many families are drawn to Maine's Acadia National Park. Out West, the towering cliffs of Zion and the domes of Yosemite perfectly illustrate the grandeur of America's National Parks. Acadia is pint-sized in comparison and thus much more manageable, especially for kids. Short hour-long climbs like the one up Acadia are within easy reach, only serving to intensify the bond between nature and nature lover. Here, everything is on a human scale.
It's hard not to be dazzled by the variety of scenery at Acadia. The only mountains on the East Coast, vast pockets of forest, the Atlantic Ocean, even a landlocked fjord all add to the allure. You'll want to spend as much time as the kids can muster outdoors. Rent bikes and try the 43-mile network of carriage path trails, narrow hard-packed gravel paths that line the entire eastern half of Mount Desert Island. Or grab a canoe and paddle the largest body of water in the park, Long Pond. Of course, all around you are a vast network of hiking trails from the ones that skirt Jordan Pond to the Ocean Path that lines the rugged shoreline of the mid-Maine coast.
After climbing mountains and biking in the woods all day, it's nice to pamper yourselves in civilization during the late afternoon and night. The Bar Harbor Inn does its best to make guests feel like lords of the manor. Don't miss the freshly baked cookies in the main lobby in the afternoon. Then retreat to your room and that heavenly deck to watch all the boats going in and out of the harbor. In front of you is the Shore Path, a walking trail that's wonderful any time of day, with large Bald Porcupine Island looming in the background. Arguably, the best part of the Bar Harbor Inn is that you're in easy walking distance of all the restaurants and shops that line Bar Harbor.
Bar Harbor Inn Reviews
All rights reserved. This file may be downloaded for personal
use only. Other copying or reproduction is expressly prohibited.
FREE Family Travel Newsletter
Family Travel Tips (7 New)
– Family Planning and Tips
- OverviewCabinsDiningActivitiesTravel Tips All About the Extras Sail & Sign Card Carnival ships feature Sail & Sign cards, which make life so much easier. All you do is link a debit card or credit card to your Sail & Sign Card at Guest Relations or a kiosk on the ship. You'll then use your Sai...
- OverviewCabinsDiningActivitiesTravel Tips One of four Spirit class ships, Carnival Miracle made its magical debut in 2004. While it's certainly not Carnival's grandest ship, it's definitely something of a "miracle" for families, who find an ample amount of amenities and activities on board. Amid ...
- So many hotels and resorts to choose from! Which ones really are the best for families in terms of theme-park access, amenities, and accommodations? Here are our favorites in the Orlando area! 1. Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creak Maybe it is the Hilton's water park with two zero-entry pools, a 3-acre ...
- When it comes to Disney, they certainly know how to cater to families, and families who want to visit Disney's Orlando theme parks will find a large selection of resorts and hotels to accommodate families of all sizes. But which ones are the best? Take a look at these 10 favorites of our editors and...
- Deciding where to go for your next family vacation? Often it's the most popular destinations -- from mega theme parks to world-famous beach towns -- that come to mind first. It's tempting to pick a familiar place and just go with what you know, but do this and you could be missing out on some fantas...
- Join us onboard Disney Wonder's first exploration into Alaskan waters and ports as Family Vacation Critic Editor Lissa Poirot and her two tots take you on a tour. Be the first to see a sample of Disney's Alaskan Port Adventures, as well as glimpse the Disney Wonder's onboard fun, in our first-ever d...
- Away from the hectic pace of our everyday lives, any vacation is a chance for families to reconnect. There's no soccer game, no piano recital, no working late, so finally you have that precious day together. Yet, if you really want a meaningful break from your usual schedule, one that might change t...