by Terry Ward
The Graduate Charlottesville offers a unique, retro-style boutique hotel experience. Conveniently located right across the street from the University of Virginia, this hotel promises a personalized experience and memorable stay. Within walking distance, you’ll find all of the dining, shopping and entertainment attractions the UVA campus has to offer. Your room will be decorated with a bright color scheme and chic style. A game room on the second floor is a favorite among the youngsters; Ping-Pong, foosball and other games make for some friendly competition. The onsite Sheepdog Coffee offers cafÃ©-style refreshments. The second floor terrace is a great place to relax and after a long day. Bikes are available to rent for the entire family. A 24-hour fitness room ensures you’ll be able to keep to your fitness routine, and free Wi-Fi will keep you connected throughout your stay.
Our Editor Loves
- Game room
- Free Wi-Fi
- Onsite dining
- Water Sports
- Free Wi-Fi
- Game Room
- Onsite Dining
Not my favorite. You can’t beat the prime location and I love that they offer free bikes. The room quality and amenities were fine. But I wasn’t a fan of the room’s dark, traditional decor (looks different than on the website) and I didn’t appreciate being required to valet price at a steep price. Nothing horribly wrong with the place and if a clean room is your bar, then it’ll work well. (I didn’t find the unclean room that others have posted about). But, next time, I’d look for something that suits my tastes better and offers me more parking options.
by Mary V
The people were nice as hell and it got the job done (24 hour lobby, well lit, easy to find, ect). I was sick of the “sterile” feel of the big box chains but I’m not totally happy with the graduate (although I might consider staying here again). I’m just gonna go down the list.
1. Soooo cold. Haha. I saw a bunch of people posting the rooms were baking. I walked in to the thermostat set at like 61. So kudos for responding to the comments! I turned it way up because, burrrrrr, but it’s been 4+ hours and the temp is only reading 68.
2. Vacuum job was rough. I’m no clean freak, I have a pet pig and dogs at home. But I expect a tad better.
3. The bathroom was nasty. I’m 99.9% sure someone was shooting up on the toilet and got blood droplets on the walls and ceiling. The vanity had a cup stain, there was drip marks/random spots on the bathroom walls, and the towels were kept in a wire basket on the ground. Usually I wouldn’t mind using a towel that had been chilling so close to the ground... but in this bathroom? Yikes.
4. I know Malin+goetz is expensive as hell but the products all sucked. Usually I’m not sensitive to smells but all the products smelled too musky, didn’t lather, or just smelled gross. I get they may be “on brand” but Dr. Bronners or something is the same aesthetic and smells good.
5. No wash clothes?
6. Just dusty. I have horrible vision so for me to see it, while standing up, is pretty impressive.
7. No mini fridge these days? Is this a thing? I guess I expected a tad more for this price point.
8. Some sketchy mold/mildew in the shower. Again, I was expecting a tad nicer for a new hotel.