by Whitney Rife
An array of suites awaits vacationing families at Grand Riviera Princess. All suites are air conditioned and come with a balcony or terrace. Seven a la carte restaurants dot the premises, including Swiss, Asian and Mexican dishes. Not far away downtown Playa del Carmen has many additional dining options, and the resort provides a complimentary shuttle to the charming town.
Grand Riviera puts families first, offering a myriad of activities and events. A whopping 12 pools are on the premises. Four of these are specifically for children. Mini Club runs daily and nightly supervised activities for kids under 12 years. Here, children can visit the club house, play video games and dance at the disco. Funtastic Teen’s Club caters to an older crowd, also planning fun things to do each day. The whole family can use the resort’s non-motorized water sports equipment, or rent motorized equipment from nearby vendors. Many land sport opportunities are available as well, such as archery and tennis.
Our Editor Loves
- Twelve pools
- Mini Club
- Funtastic Teen's Club
We were 3 friends -1 wk Getaway vacation
CHECK IN- we arrived at 1pm and got our bracelets right away to go eat and came back at 3pm got room key and our luggage was delivered within minutes. Staff friendly and always asking if everything
POOL/BEACH-always found a chair and a drink, what else can anyone need ? The pool had a place to get quick hotdog or burger and beach had connecting place to bar to sit down and eat, Nachos/burgers/ribs etc. I read reviews about seaweed and smells at beach and we did smell a bit of that on day after windy but nothing that is unbearable.
A-LA CARTES- we could do 5 in our week stay. We did 4- Miso” was awesome Japanese/oriental, Italian was great also and so was Steak-house, prime rib was terrific. I asked for well done and got it and everything was hot and tasty. We didn’t like Mexican, tacos were only thing good there.
BUFFET- finally a place no wait at omelette/ egg station. They make it just the way u want it. We mainly just had breakfast there cause spent day at beach or pool but always something to eat and no problems.
ROOMS- we were comfortable with 3 in room, balcony was nice and roomy,bathroom plenty of room with walkin shower and separate toilet. One night was after 11pm had problem with toilet, we called front desk and within 10 minutes someone was there and all fixed. We would tip housekeeping everyday and never had to worry about fridge full and room cleaned.
SHOWS- we went to a few, some were more for kids, others were good and something to do, but if we weren’t feeling it we would leave and go down to the bar and enjoy rest of night they would have a band or some type of music there to enjoy.
***we used the golf cart shuttle one night when it was raining instead of walking the 10mins to our room was great we waited 15mins but we didn’t mind we had a drink**
CONS- the only thing I didn’t like were all the cats along pathway to walk around and all the “coaties” raccoon like animals. They would go near pool and beach and take bags and food and be in garbage cans, they are out of control there a lot of people like them so feed them but I’m not into that***
STAFF- all the staff were super nice and helpful, all bartenders and waiters work so hard and go out of there way to help. No complaints.
Was a terrific resort and vacation with great friends,
Take all reviews with “grain of salt” I think that people who complain about stuff on here that something happens to set their vacation off on “wrong foot” and then the rest just snowballs from there. So just go and enjoy yourself, the sun the food the drinks, “Grand Riviera Princess” THANK YOU !!
- My family and I stayed at the Family Club unit, which was nice/quiet and not as busy/loud as the other sections of the resort
- Check-in/out was smooth
- The resort is huge, takes about 10mins to walk from the lobby to the beach (appreciated the golf-cart shuttle), the resort is well-kept and nicely landscaped
- The lobby area is huge and a nice place to just sit, relax, watch passersby and enjoy a drink
- There's always activities and performances daily
- Free wifi (but sometimes the connection in the room was hit or miss)
- The swim-out suite was a plus!
- The mini fridge in the room was always stocked with bottled water and other drinks
- The walls/sofa/flooring/bathroom/sheets felt like they needed a really good cleaning
- Buffet food was average and what is expected at a buffet, items were slightly warm, serving staff were nice (didn't get to try any of the restaurants that needed reservations)
- Enjoyed the taco stand near the main pool as well as the beach's snack bar (which serves burgers and hot dogs)
- Enjoyed the ice cream parlor
- The alcoholic drinks barely had any alcohol
- Appreciated the $4/ shuttle ride to PDC
- There were many pool areas to lounge at
- The beach area had plenty of lounge chairs, enjoyed Friday's foam party (which is for all ages)
I read previous reviews that hotel-stayers had their money and valuables stolen while stored in the safe. I made sure to bring locks for my luggage. Overall, I enjoyed my stay at GRP. It’s a great resort for those with children (because there's a water park in the Family Club unit as well as a snack bar). I wouldn’t return (not because I didn’t like the place) but just that I’d like to try other resorts in the area.